Saturday, February 16, 2008

Creative Commons and Adding Images



Photo Attribution
Original Image: "Home of Chicago Cubs"
By: brighter than sunshine


Released under an Attribution-Non-Commercial-Share Alike License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/deed.en

Before doing this assignment I had a vague idea that many of the ways that I have become used to finding and/or using images from the web wasn’t 100% on the up and up. If a student would have asked me how to find an image I probably would have directed them to Google images, AltaVista, or some other similar search engine. As far as citing an image goes, I would have had no idea what to suggest. Perhaps I would have told the student to include the web address from which they took the image. Even though I knew that this was not the right protocol, I guess I’d never taken the time to look into what I should be directing students to do.

This week has definitely provided me with a better understanding of Creative Commons and what is appropriate in terms of using other people’s work. The links to the videos and comics that were provided in the class blog were not only crucial to my understanding o f this topic but also have the potential to be very informative for my future students. After this week’s lesson I feel more confident in responding to students questions about locating and using images from the web. Now I know how to utilize sites like FlickrCC as well as properly cite the images I use –all of which is information that I can pass on to my future students!

No comments: