Saturday, February 2, 2008

Googling Lisa Patterson (or "At Least I Found a Good Masseuse")

Typing my name into the Google search bar returned over 213,000 results. That’s a heck of a lot of results. I know Googling someone has become a common practice but I am not sure that much can be learned about me through this simple search technique. Although I’d imagine a few of the 213,000 results might actually be about me it’d be hard to find them buried amidst the results about Lisa Patterson the surgeon, lawyer, real estate agent, graphic designer, or masseuse.

Modifying the search phrase so it sort of “aimed” to find this Lisa Patterson, the me Lisa Patterson, returned more specific results like other blogs I have kept for MSU classes or information pertaining to my years as a resident mentor in the dorms. This information wasn’t incriminating or anything, but I do believe it would be hard to find. I had to play around with my search terms for a while before I found results that pertained to my own life.

I also created my online portfolio this week which was an interesting experience. I’d never used Google pages before and I was quite impressed with how easy it was use. Although I’ve merely laid the groundwork for this portfolio I hope to create webpage that will give the reader an idea of who I am, what I’ve done here at MSU, and where I’d like to be in the future. I think it’s great that this class has prompted me to create an online portfolio well before I am in the job market. This gives me plenty of time to “play” with the technology and update information as I gain more experience during my internship year.

No comments: